Politics | Economy - Development | Society | Human rights | Media
Editor jailed over "discredit"
afrol News, 7 March- A court in the Nigerien capital Niamey has sentenced the editor of the independent bi-monthly 'L'Eveil Plus' to a month in prison for "discrediting" a court decision. Aboubacar Gourouza was also fined US $100.
The editor's conviction was exacerbated by an article he had published, comparing the court's recent decision to a similar previous case. He questioned why the court would allow the provisional release of the mayor of the southern city of Maradi while keeping the mayor of Niamey when they were all accused of embezzlement.
By staff writer
© afrol News
- Create an e-mail alert for Niger news
- Create an e-mail alert for Politics news
- Create an e-mail alert for Economy - Development news
- Create an e-mail alert for Society news
- Create an e-mail alert for Human rights news
- Create an e-mail alert for Media news
On the Afrol News front page now