See also:
» 02.03.2010 - Former Rwandan first lady arrested
» 26.02.2010 - Rwandan officer sentenced to 25 years
» 24.02.2010 - Three slapped with jail terms
» 10.02.2010 - Rwanda urged to cease hostilities
» 02.02.2010 - Scores slaughtered by rebels in DRC
» 19.01.2010 - Banda to help Rwanda arrest genocide suspects
» 11.01.2010 - Hutu extremists plotted Habyarimana’s assassination - Report
» 17.12.2009 - Rwanda tribunal mandate extended to 2012











buy from China
Rwanda
Human rights | Politics

Munyakazi odds for a home trial ebb

afrol News, 30 May - Chances of genocide suspect and former Rwandan Interhamwe militia leader Yussuf Munyakazi of being tried on home ground were diminished on Wednesday when the United Nations war crimes tribunal rebuffed opposition application to hold the trial in the small east African state.

Mr Munyakazi is facing charges of the 1994 Rwanda genocide in which UN estimates show that over 800,000 people, mostly ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus were allegedly murdered by his armed forces between April and July.

The 73 year-old former farmer and businessman was arrested in the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in 2004, prior to being brought before the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR).

He allegedly masterminded and in some instances, actually participated in the killing of the Tutsis who had sought sanctuary in numerous churches in Rwanda’s Bugarame commune.

The prosecution’s application was denied on the basis that Rwanda’s abolishment of the death penalty last year for life imprisonment in isolation, completely flouts the international human rights standards.

The court was also wary of the autonomy of the judiciary in the capital Kigali, hence was skeptical that the accused would get a fair trial there.

It is however reported that the tribunal has taken into account positive measures taken by Rwanda to facilitate referral, read the decision, which added that if the country proceeded to maintain the same standard, it would refer future cases to the country’s judiciary.

Reports by Hirondelle Agency indicated that the Rwandan Prosecutor General, Martin Ngoga said, "…we are deeply disappointed by that decision and we are consulting with the Prosecutor what next steps to be taken".

The defence counsel spearheaded by Professor Jwani Mwaikusa was reportedly against the prosecutor’s motion from the very start, citing among others, incompetence of the Rwandan judiciary as the basis of its contention.

Prof Mwaikusa was quoted saying, "I was opposed outrightly to the application, and my concern has always been that it is delaying the start of my client's trial."

According to observers the landmark decision will impact on other four similar applications of transfer of cases to Rwanda, which are yet to be heard.

The other four targeted suspects are: former Commander of Ngoma Camp, Lieutenant Ildephonse Hategekimana, businessman Gaspard Kanyarukiga, former Mayor Jean Baptist Gatete and former Inspector of Judicial Police, Fulgence Kaysihema who has since vanished.

The ICTR Prosecutor stressed that Rwanda legal framework grants fair trial, adding that this was demonstrated by the latest decision of the French Chamberry Court of Appeal on 2 April, which approved extradition of former Rwandan businessman Claver Kamanya to Kigali. The prosecution's motion requesting Munyakazi's transfer was filed on 7 September 2007.

The Human Rights Watch representative, Aisling Reidy, had told the Court that they have evidence of intimidation and harassment of legal officers and witnesses in Rwanda, adding that the defence had difficulties in securing witnesses. To date, the ICTR has delivered 30 convictions and five acquittals.


- Create an e-mail alert for Rwanda news
- Create an e-mail alert for Human rights news
- Create an e-mail alert for Politics news


 
    Printable version


On the Afrol News front page now

Rwanda
Rwanda succeeds including citizens in formal financial sector

afrol News - It is called "financial inclusion", and it is a key government policy in Rwanda. The goal is that, by 2020, 90 percent of the population is to have and actively use bank accounts. And in only four years, financial inclusion has doubled in Rwanda.
South Sudan | Sudan
Famine warning: "South Sudan is imploding"

afrol News - The UN's humanitarian agencies now warn about a devastating famine in Sudan and especially in South Sudan, where the situation is said to be "imploding". Relief officials are appealing to donors to urgently fund life-saving activities in the two countries.
Guinea
Panic in West Africa after Ebola outbreak in Guinea

afrol News - Fear is spreading all over West Africa after the health ministry in Guinea confirmed the first Ebola outbreak in this part of Africa. According to official numbers, at least 86 are infected and 59 are dead as a result of this very contagious disease.
Ethiopia
Ethiopia tightens its already strict anti-gay laws

afrol News - It is already a crime being homosexual in Ethiopia, but parliament is now making sure the anti-gay laws will be applied in practical life. No pardoning of gays will be allowed in future, but activist fear this only is a signal of further repression being prepared.
Ethiopia
Ethiopia plans Africa's biggest dam

afrol News / Africa Renewal - Ethiopia's ambitious plan to build a US$ 4.2 billion dam in the Benishangul-Gumuz region, 40 km from its border with Sudan, is expected to provide 6,000 megawatts of electricity, enough for its population plus some excess it can sell to neighbouring countries.



front page | news | countries | archive | currencies | news alerts login | about afrol News | contact | advertise | español 

©  afrol News. Reproducing or buying afrol News' articles.

   You can contact us at mail@afrol.com